Saturday, May 24, 2008

education nation~

i was at my little part-time job (a day spa) yesterday and i have to say it really amazes me when people just reach out and understand.  my boss, clare, was so kind about my type 1.  i know, i know, it's our 'right' to be given time for snacks and breaks.  but it really means a lot to me when people are just real and do things for another person because it's the right thing to do, you know?  they just get it. everyone moves on from there and it's all cool---no drama, basically.   
     i guess i'm saying this because sometimes it really gets to me how random people i talk to now are like, "um, how did you walk around not knowing you were diabetic?!"
      *sigh*
     that's when i take a deep breath, smile at them and begin what i now call:
 "The Difference Between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Discussion."  
( i know all you type 1's are laughing right now...)
 as irritating and assumptive as it is to deal with it, i like that i get to be just one more person out there advocating for education, better food for all of us, better treatment for people that just feel...misunderstood.  
        but i've also realized something big lately:
you can't be understood 'til you understand.   

2 comments:

Scott said...

The whole explanation thing is one of those things that never goes away (I'll be 32 years w/ T1DM this summer), and in that time I've learned that there are times I have the energy and patience to go through the whole explanation, and other times its just not worth the effort, so I'm sure you'll have plenty of chances to decide (or not decide, just feel like it or not!) when to do it and when not to ... there are no rules on this; its really when you have the patience and energy to deal with it!

typeofl1fe said...

hi birdy - I've been reading your blog for a while now but this one spurred me to comment because I feel the same way, and I definitely identified with it.
Also, you seem to have adjusted really well to your diagnosis - I was diagnosed this past October, and I feel like it took me a lot longer to really accept it, haha. You seem to have a great attitude towards your diabetes, and health/life in general, and I think that's great.
Anyways, just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your blog :)
- Justine