Tuesday, March 3, 2009

poetry: ahora vivo! (now i live!)

now i live because this week last year i almost died. 
now i live because on march 6th 2008 i finally stopped being stubborn and went to the student health center.
now i live because i was given what my body could no longer make for itself: insulin.
now i live because my life is not promised to me everyday, it is injected if only i choose to make that commitment every single day.
now i live because i am surrounded by deeper friendships, new friendships, and rekindled friendships that have all rejuvenated me.
now i live because my life has deeper meanings than i could have ever imagined; meanings that drive and inspire me to re-evaluate my life and be as strong and yet as flexible as the trees.
now i live because i want to, not because i have to, or because i take waking up every morning for granted.  
now i live because for the first time in my life, i'm aware of my age.  i am turning 29, and i feel it in my back, my right knee, my left ankle.  
but now i live.  now i live because i still walk and breathe and talk and laugh and eat and love and cry and take care of myself.  type 1 diabetes has not incapacitated me so much that i cannot still work towards studying medicine so that i can help take care of others.  
"to whom much is given, much is expected."  
  
   

2 comments:

lesley said...

This is beautiful, Emily! Viva!!

John said...

Now I live knowing that life and joy is a choice. I love the poem. Its awesome. Vivimos vidas locas!