Sunday, April 11, 2010

blessed by good health~

I was thinking today how blessed I am by good health.
You read that right.
No really, I know I've not had this beast for more than 2 years now so I'm sure I have an "easier" time while my residual beta cells party on for me, but my health so far has been a blessing. My diagnosis, while traumatic (like everyone's) was not like others': ending up in the ICU after puking all the food they ever ate out. Ok, you coulda done without that mental picture, I know. But some people really do end up so sick they have to stay in the hospital for a couple of weeks, some even go into a temporary coma, their brains so high on glucose. literally.
But me, well, I got terribly sick, but I also got to go home the next day. I view being 27 at the time as also being a blessing, that I could absorb and process what was being told to me not about me. I also have a health background, so there were very few times I was like, "layman's terms, please!!" Which is really not a good thing. All doctors should have enough respect for their patients to know to speak gently and with dignity at their patient's level of understanding.
I'm not exactly sure what this post is about. I sure hope I don't sound like I'm bragging. I guess I'm just trying to count my blessings. I didn't die. I adjusted to the diagnosis well; who knows why. I think I've just had my share of enough personal losses (that wasn't cynical, I promise) and am very good at adapting. But I also think it's a pride thing: this thing is not gonna kill me. Not today. Sure, when I get old, maybe some things'll happen. Maybe diabetes will be the thing that eventually catches up to me. But it can do that when I'm 80 or 90.
Right now I'm excited at how healthy I am. No, I really mean that. Sure, I've learned way more about food than I think is humanly necessary or normal, but it's also what saved me. Every day. We think about food way too much. But we are also these amazing encylopedias on fat, fiber, sugar, stress, socializing, exercise...you name it, a type 1's got the answer (or an idea of one, at least, haha!) We are certainly an opinionated group of folks. With reason!
I'm happy to be where I am today. I sometimes can't believe I'm saying that. But this disease has taught me so much about myself. It has taught me so much about life. About empathy. About listening. It has blessed me with a second chance at seeing life from a completely new angle---one we'd have lost the day the symptoms set in prior to 1921. I'm truly blessed by good health.

3 comments:

Erin said...

You really motivate me to do things better!

birdy said...

Thanks, Erin! that really means a lot to me. ;)

Scott K. Johnson said...

We are some incredibly strong people, that is for sure. :-)