Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Backblogging week 10: chocolate pudding and the lows~

July 29th, 2010

As you can see, still not much of a bulgy bulge. Just an Emily-did-you-gain-a-few-pounds?-look. In fact, because week 9's photo is more close-up, I'm wondering now if this photo's more accurate in that it shows...absolutely nothing. Ha! But this bird still finds that little bulge quite exciting. :)
The lows have been really, really (did I mention really?) fun this week. Wow, amazing. Gals weren't kidding when they said it sometimes seems like you've got a bit of mini-D-cure going on in the first trimester just because of all the damn lows.
But they're not fun. oh no, they are not.
At times this week it was like I could eat things I could never eat (pasta! bagels! potato chips [all organic mind you :)] and I still could barely keep my blood sugar up. Constantly chasing. Because I've only had type 1 for a couple of years, I think my hypoglycemic awareness is still good and I really, really (wow, really is really my go-to word for this particular post, eh?) try to catch lows around 70 to keep myself sensitive. However...[voice trails off] that has not been so easy lately. Gosh, one day this week it was like, ew, I feel a little bit odd and BAM! 34 on my meter. Just like that. No warning. No reason. And I don't know about you, but when I'm that low, I just feel sick. Drinking juice is not refreshing, but actually gross. But a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.
Then, I had the joy of doing a 24-hour urine test. This checks for protein spilling into your urine (protein in your urine is a sign that your kidneys are not functioning properly). Well, trying to pick a day where you're going to be at home more than out was hard enough, but just the whole, oh wait, the jug! it's in the fridge! next to the...orange juice! experience was beyond laughable. That night, I of course had to pee twice. Thank god I remembered to put the little pee-catcher-thingy on the seat. Then you have to take it into the lab right away the next day, where you feel like they're inspecting it for drugs or something as they take it from you. Let's just say the whole process is a bit degrading. Hi! I'm uh, here to drop off my...pee.
The only comfort this week was in making chocolate pudding. Super tasty. Didn't save me from the lows, but homemade chocolate pudding certainly saves the day. Hell, it saved my week. With a dollop of homemade whipped cream, it was the well, cream on top.

No comments: