Thursday, August 19, 2010

Backblogging week 11: new pumps and yucky bugs~

August 7th, 2010

Well, well, well. Week 11 was certainly exciting. No, I'm not being sarcastic---what ever made you think I'm like that?! :)

I'm finally getting a real baby pooch. Kinda kangaroo like. It's funny how you expand from the base, up. When you think of pregnancy, you think of how gosh darn big those bellies get and forget they don't just happen! It's been fascinating to me, being a science nerd and all, to watch this process happening in my normally wee body. Wow! I'm pregnant!!!
Ok, enough of that blubby-blub, sorry. :)

As I said very early on, my pregnancy CDE and Perinatologist wanted me to switch to the Medtronic Revel system for comfort's sake (combined CGM and pump, but still two sites...so don't get too excited. It's not an artificial pancreas.) So while there's two sites, it's certainly more comfortable than I would've been had I had to wear both pump and CGM devices. (Hi, my name is Emily! I'm just your regular robotic pregnant diabetic!)
Having said that, I had my pump training on my new Revel. I need to post a pic of my new pump. I got the purple one. I must say, it's pretty hip.
The pump training was pretty easy for me considering I was already on a pump (the Animas Ping). They all do the same things (thank god) and so the verbage and screen scrolling is just a little different. I.e, "insulin on board" on the Ping is "active insulin" on the Medtronic. As I get to know things about this pump, there are definitely pros and cons. I'll do a post on that after this. However, they're both excellent pumps and I don't think you can go too wrong with either one. I may like this one a tiny bit more, though. Except for the fact that it's not water proof like the Ping, which bothers me a lot for some reason. Maybe because a pump is like an extra appendage when you have type 1, and if it can't get wet it's kinda like being told you can't stick your foot in the water. Then again, wearing a pump might make my bathing suit fall down. :)
Towards the end of the week I contracted some very strange 48 hour bug. OH MY GOD. It was so awful. I am not a sickly person. The last time I got sick was when I got diagnosed with type 1 in 2008. So when I got this awful headache Tuesday that blew up into a combined headache with tummy cramps and well, you know, I was not a happy bird. I'm just glad I wasn't vomiting. So I was forced to just lay still. Everytime I tried to move around the house I was met with more stomach cramping. YUCK. So I just ate chicken noodle soup and drank raspberry leaf tea. This helped a lot and I was able to kick whatever yucky bug made its way into my body by Sunday.
*Raspberry Leaf is so wonderful!!
Here's why:
It's an herb that is useful in treating diarrhea as it is very astringent. It tones the digestive tract, essentially cleaning it up. It is also the premiere pregnancy herb, tonifying and strengthening the uterus for the course of the pregnancy, labor and birth.
*You just buy the loose-leaf tea preferably from an ethically-wildcrafted herbalist like Mountain Rose Herbs and put about 2 Tbs into boiling hot water, steeping for a few minutes. I like using a tea-straw to drink my loose-leaf teas, but you can also use a tea-ball. You can drink this wonderfully-easy-tasting tea all throughout the day when you have a bout of diarrhea or stomach problems, and at least twice a day when you're pregnant.

Well, we've made it through week 11, Littlebird. I hope you're doing ok in there. We have our 2nd ultrasound next week. Let's hope we get good news about your heartbeat and growth.

No comments: