Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Backblogging week 13: new CGM and why people should think before they speak~


Or at least they could start by asking questions. :)

So we made it to our 13th week, Littlebird. Actually, I'm in my 14th week as I type this, so we're really, really starting to move along now, aren't we?! Soooooo excited to meet you!!!! Truly, you are the best gift in my life (besides MAC, your dad.) :)

So anyway, back to what I was er, complaining about. So I'm finally starting to tell people, and gals weren't kidding when they said that people absolutely love to give unsolicited advice. I don't even know if I'd call it advice. Sometimes it just feels like commentary. Everything from diabetes-related (no, you actually don't know what the hell you're talking about, random person) to breastfeeding and diapering. I have thought about all of this for a very long time, thank you very much. I know where to get my questions answered and certainly have no intention of listening to snobby know-it-alls. You'd think people might give a gal at least a little bit of credit. We planned this baby so carefully, took care of my type 1 so carefully, had so many conversations with each other and mentors and those we love...it's not like we have no clue what's going on here, people! Yeesh! Sorry, I just had to get this off my chest. Better now than later, eh? Of course, it's never going to stop. People even do this when your kids are grown! ;)
On the diabetes front, I got my CGM! (You can see it poking a bit into the pic there.) Whew! It's really interesting. It is a lot to deal with, I won't lie. Yet one.more.thing plugged into me. But I'm so very grateful I'm on the Revel now and the CGM transmitter just sends the data to the pump and another menu opens to use the CGMing aspect. I just hate the site. It's really gawky and feels large...but I'm getting used to it. The tegaderm is pretty itchy. But I'll talk about what happened when I didn't wear the tegaderm in my next post. :)
The whole trending aspect takes a little getting used to. Part of it is I've been on it only a few days and am still titrating my numbers to more closely match my fingersticks, but also just learning not to jump the gun and mess with it too much. I know people who freak out about their diabetes way too much...it literally creates a vicious cycle of freaking out about your numbers, only to make them worse, then you freak out some more and surprise! they only get worse. So, like the CGM trainer said, you don't want to just keep staring at the screen all the time. Sometimes we just need to calm the hell down with this disease, do our best and go take a walk. I refuse to let this disease ever own me.
Case in point: we went to the in-laws for my mother-in-law's birthday this past weekend. I always get a little nervous at parties. Because, let's be honest: parties center around food. Good food. Carby food. Untimed, munchy, grazy food. Now, I must say my in-laws are just fabulous about my diabetes. They always let me know what we're eating, when we're eating and if they added a little sugar to a recipe I would've otherwise assumed had none (read: 3-bean salad). My sister-in-law is so cute too, and even makes whole-grain pasta instead of white when she makes this awesome pasta salad with things like black olives, artichokes, sauteed mushrooms and some wonderful dressing she concocts. Yum.
So I was in charge of making the cake (I know, I know: ironic and hysterical). I made a vanilla layer cake with strawberries and whipped cream...kinda looked like this (only I sweeten my baking with agave nectar). Nevermind my dog ate half of each layer cake the morning of the party, forcing me to bake two more [insert wildly hysterical laughter here]. The point is, it all worked out and everyone liked everyone's food. The bigger point is that my blood sugars are always excellent when I just let myself have fun in food-heavy social situations. Instead of stressing about the food, I just do my best...often finding that it's enough. I honestly don't know what it is, but it works like a charm every time. Good times, good sugars. Who knows why, but I think it has to do with something called relaxing and having a good time. ;)
I really want this pregnancy to work out. I want this baby to be so happy and healthy, not under the influence of uncontrolled diabetes and emotional stress surrounding it for the next 6 months. So it's been great so far to see all of my diabetes-related work...work out, and my trying to just let things go whenever I'm worried...about this disease or not. Ya, sometimes I'm still bummed about the how-the-heck-did-I-get-type-1 question, but most of the time, I'm really amazed at how interesting and different my life has become, what I've learned, what makes me laugh, what gets me excited now. And right now, let me tell you, this baby is pretty darn exciting.

No comments: